Associate Professor of Operations & Manufacturing Management
My main research interests are in supply chain management, which primarily deals with how to match supply with demand. To achieve this goal, a firm needs to carefully manage both sides of the supply chain. The first part of my research focuses on how a firm should contract with upstream suppliers to ensure efficient and responsive supply, i.e., the supply side. The second part of my research is concerned with how to deal with strategic customer behavior that may affect a firm’s operational strategies, i.e., the demand side.
· An Empirical Investigation of Dynamic Ordering Policies. Forthcoming in Management Science. (with C. Larson and D. Turcic)
· Home or Overseas? An Analysis of Sourcing Strategies under Competition. Management Science 60(5) 1223-1240 (with X. Wu)
· The Impact of Modular Assembly on Supply Chain Efficiency. Forthcoming in Production and Operations Management. (with T. Feng)
· Outsourcing Competition and Information Sharing with Asymmetrically Informed Suppliers. Forthcoming in Production and Operations Management. (with X. Zhao and L. Xue)
· Advance Demand Information, Price Discrimination, and Pre-order Strategies. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 15(1) 57-71, 2013. (with C. Li)
· Procurement Mechanism Design in a Two-Echelon Inventory System with Price-Dependent Demand. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 12(4) 608-626, 2010.
· Effect of Supply Reliability in a Retail Setting with Joint Marketing and Inventory Decisions. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 12(1) 19-32, 2010 (with S. Liu and R. So)
· On the Value of Commitment and Availability Guarantees When Selling to Strategic Consumers. Management Science 55(5) 713-726, 2009 (with X. Su)
· Strategic Customer Behavior, Commitment, and Supply Chain Performance. Management Science 54(10) 1759-1773, 2008 (with X. Su)
· Obtaining Fast Delivery in a Queuing System via Performance-Based Allocation of Demand. Management Science 53(3) 408-420, 2007 (with G.P. Cachon)
· Competition, Cooperation and Information Sharing in a Two-echelon Assembly System. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 8(3) 273-291, 2006
· Procuring Fast Delivery: Sole-sourcing with Information Asymmetry. Management Science 52(6) 881-896, 2006 (with G.P. Cachon)
· Positive vs. Negative Externalities in Inventory Management: Implications for Supply Chain Design. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 7(1) 58-73, 2005 (with S. Netessine)
· Dynamic Capacity Management with General Upgrading. (with Y. Yu and X. Chen)
· To Share or Not to Share: Effects of Forecast Accuracy and Risk Aversion on Information Sharing. (with L. Tian, B. Jiang, and Y. Xu)
· Supply Contracting under Asymmetric Cost Information and Moral Hazard. (with E. Bolandifar and T. Feng)
· Delegation versus Control in Supply Chain Procurement under Competition. (with E. Bolandifar and P. Kouvelis)
· Service Outsourcing: Capacity, Quality and Correlated Costs. (with J. Ren)
· Responsive Pricing of Fashion Products: The Effects of Demand Learning and Strategic Consumer Behavior. (with Y. Aviv and M. Wei)
My earlier research focused on energy and environmental systems modeling and analysis. We have contributed to the development of the methodology of index decomposition analysis, which can be used to study factors affecting energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, and to monitor economy-wide energy efficiency trends. The decomposition techniques based on our research have been adopted by national energy agencies and international organizations, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the U.S., and the World Bank.
· Methodological Issues in Cross Country/Region Decomposition of Energy and Environment Indicators, Energy Economics 23: 179-190, 2001. (with B.W. Ang)
· A Decomposition Technique for Quantifying Real Process Performance, Production Planning and Control, 11(4): 314-321, 2000. (with B.W. Ang and E.P. Chew)
· A Survey of Index Decomposition Analysis in Energy and Environmental Studies, Energy, 25(12): 1149-1176, 2000. (with B.W. Ang) Ranked top 10 most cited papers published in Energy since 1976.
· Inter-regional Comparisons of Energy-related CO2 Emissions Using the Decomposition Technique, Energy, 24(4): 297-305, 1999. (with B.W. Ang)
· Factorizing Changes in Energy and Environmental Indicators through Decomposition, Energy, 23(6): 489-495, 1998. (with B.W. Ang and K.H. Choi)
· Detecting Real Business Performance Using Decomposition Methodology, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Management, July 25-28, Shanghai, China, 1998. (with B.W. Ang)