Campus Box 1133
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
Ph: (314) 935-9196
I am a Professor in the Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis. I research topics in corporate finance. I do both theory and empirical research. Scroll down for the latest version of my published and forthcoming papers. You can get copies of earlier versions of my papers at my SSRN author page at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=107455. I welcome any comments you may have at email@example.com.
1. The Entrepreneur's Choice Between Private and Public Ownership, 2006, (joint with Arnoud W. A. Boot and Anjan Thakor), Journal of Finance 61(2), 803-836.
2. Affiliated Firms and Financial Support: Evidence from Indian Business Groups, 2007, (joint with Vikram Nanda and Amit Seru) Journal of Financial Economics 86 (3), 759-795.
3. Market Liquidity, Investor Participation and Managerial Autonomy: Why do Firms Go Private?, 2008, (joint with Arnoud W.A. Boot and Anjan Thakor) Journal of Finance 63 (4), 2013-2059.
4. Strategic Flexibility and the Optimality of Pay for Sector Performance, 2010, (joint with Todd Milbourn and Fenghua Song), Review of Financial Studies 23, 2060-2098.
5. Conglomerates and industry distress, 2011, (joint with Kanghzhen Xie), Review of Financial Studies 24 (11), 3642-3687.
6. Why do firms form new banking relationships?, 2011, (joint with Greg Udell and Vijay Yerramilli), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 46 (5), 1335-1365
7. Does poor performance affect the reputation of financial intermediaries? Evidence from the loan syndication market, 2011, (joint with Vikram Nanda and Vijay Yerramilli), Journal of Finance 66 (6), 2083-2120.
8. Asset liquidity, and stock liquidity, 2012, (joint with Mikhail Pevzner and Ohad Kadan), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 47(2), 333-364.
9. Private control benefits and earnings management: Evidence from insider controlled firms, 2012, (joint with Sudarshan Jayaraman), Journal of Accounting Research, 50 (1), 117-157.
10. Do public equity markets matter in emerging economies? Evidence from India, 2013, (joint with Todd Gormley), Review of Finance 5, 1517-1615.
11. Duration of executive compensation (joint with Todd Milbourn, Fenghua Song, and Anjan Thakor), Journal of Finance 69 (6), 27772817.
12. Debt maturity structure and credit quality (joint with Fenghua Song and Vijay Yerramilli), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 49 (04), 817-842.
13. , 2015, (joint with Vikram Nanda and Amit Seru), Review of Financial Studies 27 (4), 1102-1142.
14. 2016, (joint with Shashwat Alok) Management Science 64 (6) 2856-2874.
15. Do Debt Contract Enforcement Costs Affect Financing and Asset Structure?, 2016, (joint with Abhiroop Mukherjee and Manpreet Singh), Review of Financial Studies 29 (10), 27742813.
16. Compensation goals and firm performance, 2017, (joint with Benjamin Bennett, Carr Bettis and Todd Milbourn), Journal of Financial Economics 124 (2), 307-330.
17. , 2017, (joint with Todd Milbourn and John Horn), Harvard Business Review, 95 (5), 102 107.
18. , 2018, (joint with Emily Gallagher and Michal-Grinstein Weiss) Journal of Public Economics 172, 67-83.
19. Medicaid and Household Savings Behavior: New Evidence from tax refunds, 2020, (joint with Emily Gallagher, Michal-Grinstein Weiss and Jorge Sabat) (Journal of Financial Economics 136 (2), 523-546)
20. The Role of Deferred Equity Pay in Retaining Managerial Talent, joint with Sheng Huang and Johan Maharjan Contemporary Accounting Review 38(4), 2521-2554.
21. How are bankers paid, joint with Benjamin Bennett and Anjan Thakor Review of Corporate Finance Studies 10(4), 788-812.
22. State minimum wages and employment: Evidence from one million hourly wage workers, 2020, joint with Barton Hamilton, Ankit Kalda and David Sovich, Journal of Labor Economics, 39 (3), 673-707.
23. Home equity and labor income: The role of constrained mobility, 2021, joint with Barton Hamilton, Ankit Kalda and David Sovich Review of Financial Studies 34 (10), 46194662.
24. The effect of inversions on corporate governance, joint with Felipe Cortes and Armando Gomes Journal of Financial Intermediation 47, 100880.
25. Its not so Bad: Director Bankruptcy Experience and Corporate Risk Taking, joint with Ankit Kalda and Todd Gormley (forthcoming Journal of Financial Economics)