|Student Computing Handbook|
Microsoft Software for Students
Olin has entered into a licensing agreement with Microsoft to provide licenses for select software to Business students at no cost. The software is full-featured, not demo or trial versions, and you are allowed to continued to use it after you graduate from the University.
To be eligible, students must enrolled in a degree program that will result in the granting of a business degree (BSBA, MBA, MACC, MSFin, etc.).
Business minors and second majors from other schools at the University are not eligible. If you are a minor or second major, check with your school to see if they have a similar program.
The following software applications and operating systems are available for download free of charge as of January 14, 2013. Check the site for the latest information.
- Office Professional Plus 2013
- Office Professional Plus 2010
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Windows 8 Professional Upgrade 32-bit or 64-bit
- Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade 32-bit or 64-bit
- Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 32-bit or 64-bit
To order software, do the following:
- Go to our OnTheHub eStore at http://wustlbusiness.onthehub.com.
- Click "Sign In".
- Logon with your WUSTL Key username and password.
- make your selections and check out.
- IMPORTANT! Make a backup of the files you download!!! If anything happens to the setup file and your download period has expired, you will NOT be able to re-purchase or re-download the software. Make sure you have a backup.
- When you checkout, you may be offered the chance to purchase a backup disc of the software at additional cost. If you're concerned about losing the copy you downlaod, you may want to purchase the backup disc.
Info for Mac Users
Intel Mac users who want to run Windows 7 or 8 using VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or Boot Camp are able to do so legally using the Windows 7 Upgrade licenses that are available through this program.
IMPORTANT!Windows 8 requires that you purchase the Mac version of the Windows 8 Upgrade disc to install on a Mac. Make sure you select the correct version!
See Apple's information about Boot Camp and support for Windows 7: About Boot Camp and Windows 7.
VMware Fusion 4 supports Windows 7. Fusion is available at discounted pricing for students. Full copies are$39.99 at the OnTheHub eStore at http://wustlbusiness.onthehub.com under the Virtualization tab.
Parallels Desktop 7 supports Windows 7. Parallels Desktop is available for $39.99 at the OnTheHub eStore at http://wustlbusiness.onthehub.com under the Virtualization tab.
How to Install Windows 7 using the Upgrade Media
Follow these steps to install a new copy of Windows 7 using the upgrade media. This is only necessary for Mac users.
- Boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
- When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows 7 as a 30-day trial.
- Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program on the DVD from within Windows.
- This time, type in your product key when prompted.
- When asked whether to perform an Upgrade, choose Upgrade
- Once the upgrade has completed, you should be able to activate Windows 7 normally.
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions about these configurations, purchasing a computer, or have other questions, please contact the Help Desk via email (Help Desk).