|OLIN BUSINESS SCHOOL||
How do I configure Outlook Express?
We do NOT recommend the use of Outlook Express or other mail clients such as Eudora, Netscape, etc. that use POP or IMAP to access your mailbox. However, if you still want to use it, please use the following setup information. If you are not sure whether to use POP or IMAP, see Should I use POP or IMAP? for more information.
Basic Information for Setup
If you are setting up any POP/IMAP mail program, you will need this information to configure it properly.
Incoming or POP3/IMAP4 Server: mail.olin.wustl.edu Outgoing or SMTP Server: mail.olin.wustl.edu Use secure connections for POP/IMAP/SMTP using SSL? Yes (more info...) Use Secure Password Authentication (SPA) or APOP? Only if you are not using SSL for secure connections. (more info...)
Configure Outlook Express
- Open Outlook Express.
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- Click the Add button and select Mail from that menu that pops up.
- Enter your name for Display Name and click Next. Example: John Doe
- Enter your email address for Email address. and click Next. Example: DOEJ@olin.wustl.edu
- Where it says "My incoming mail server is a ____ server", select either POP3 or IMAP from the dropdown list.
- Enter mail.olin.wustl.edu for "Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server".
- Enter mail.olin.wustl.edu for "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server" and click Next.
- Enter your username for Account name.
- Optional: Check the box for "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" to protect your password from being transmitted over the Internet. If you enable encryption below in steps 16 and 17, you do not need to use SPA.
- Click Next and then Finish.
- Select the account you just created and click Properties.
- Select the Servers tab.
- Check the box next to "My server requires authentication".
- Select the Advanced tab.
- If you want to encrypt your communications while sending mail, under Outgoing mail (SMTP)" check the box next to "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)". If you use Norton AntiVirus, make sure you disable virus scanning of outgoing mail.
- If you want to encrypt your communications while receiving mail, under Incoming mail" check the box next to "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
- If you selected POP3, check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on server"
- If you selected POP3, Check the box next to "Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items". Your messages will remain on the server until you delete them and then empty the Deleted Items folder in Outlook Express.
- Click OK and then Close.